Saturday, July 14, 2012

Battle Of The Brush..Or Queen Of Color


Loved this sign in my local paint store!
The big guy and I have spent the past 2 years painting the house at the lake and it's seemed to be an endless job.  Right now I'm painting the baseboards and winding my way slowly around the house.  Muscle-soreness is now my middle name.  Really, hours on end, crouched down on the floor, sanding away and then painting away is geting old but, I have to say, when I step back at the end of the day and look at my (15 feet) of lovely, clean baseboard (in Benjamin Moore 'Marscapone') I'm a happy woman.  

The baseboard color is pretty much a no-brainer but the big guy and I have tangled over color a bit along the way.  He's not so much opposed the the color itself as he is to what he thinks is paint that's too pricey.  I just love Benjamin Moore paints, though, and I really like to use the Aura.  You can also get BM flat paint for the bath and spa (not that we have a spa) but I so much like the flat finish rather than the more glossy semi that I've had in every other bathroom I've ever had. At any rate, we have tangled over the paint so I really had to laugh at the sign in my local Benjamin Moore paint store.  The big guy just sort of gave it a half grin.  I think it worked, though, because we haven't gone to the mat over paint lately.

The other thing I really like about Benjamin Moore is that they make it so easy to pick out paint color. You can get so many different little sample jars - more than you would find at Home Depot, for instance.  They also have really large paint chip paper - in a 6" X 6" size so you can pin them up on the wall and get a better idea of where you're headed in selecting color.  I was in Orchard Supply Hardware the other day and a woman came in and looked over the teeny paint chips for a yellow she wanted - and yellow is a very hard color to pick out because it always comes out brighter or more canary yellow than you think it will.  There are yellows with a lot of green in them that come out looking bright and neon and then there are yellows that have more red in them and they have a warmer, Tuscan feel to them.  But, basically, yellow is hard to select. My preference is for soft, buttery yellows and, for that, I have to go to a color that looks almost white on the  paint chip.  Anyway, this woman in the OSH store, picked out what I thought was a really bright, canary yellow just off the chip and then proceed to spend $75 on the paint!  I was dying to say something but decided to keep my mouth shut.  It's not my house and, who knows, maybe it will look OK in her room.  But...another thing is that yellow is really hard to paint on the wall - it just doesn't cover very well and you always need more coats of paint than usual.  So, I just mentally wished her good luck and secretly wished I could follow her home and watch the show.

Now, however, I am intrigued with the new marketing push that Sherwin-Williams seems to be putting on in competition with Benjamin Moore.  Sherwin-Williams now has a new feature that I'm about to try called "Chip It".  You can download a "Chip It" button (similar to a 'Pin It" from Pintrest) and when you see an image online that has a color you like, you can just click on it and hit the chip it button and...Wow...up pops a screen with coordinating paint colors.  Now, that's cool.  I don't know how reliable it is as afar as paint color selection but...it has to be better than spending 75 bucks on a hunch and a teeny paint chip in the store.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment about my 'Summer on the Mountain' post. That sign in the paint store is too funny! Painting is not my favorite job but it does make such a huge difference in a room. I have had good luck with Benjamin Moore paint. The coverage is so much better than some of the other brands. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very impressed with your undertaking! We remodeled our home about 5 years ago and there is something very invigorating about creating a major change in your house. I admire your energy to do the painting yourselves. Must admit we paid someone else to do the painting. In my youth I painted but I have decided it is truly an art and my poor old muscles would have screamed! We did play with samples and are very happy with our choices. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete